where business succeeds
Abbey Quarter Master Plan
Kilkenny County Council acquired the 10-acre Smithwick’s Brewery site as it presented a unique opportunity to create a space for businesses at the centre of one of Europe’s most dynamic cities.
The Masterplan plan includes:
- 7 new blocks on the brewery site and 14 new blocks overall creating a new urban quarter to complement the existing city centre.
- Capacity for almost 60,000m2 (645,000ft2) of mixed use residential, commercial, retail, education and civic space.
- New public, landscaped spaces including a new 3 acre square at St. Francis Abbey
- Refurbishment of the old Brewhouse to provide almost 4,450m2 (47,850ft2) of unique, grade A office space.
- A new linear park running along the banks of the River Nore
- Conservation of historic buildings on the site including St. Francis Abbey
- Refurbishment of the old Mayfair Ballroom building to provide almost 1,600m2 (17,200ft2) of new work space